Friday, December 22, 2006

I did what you’re supposed to do at a bach – nothing! So no blogs or pix while we were away.

But I’m baaack!

We got home a day early from our northland tour, both of us tired of driving, I think me especially as I did most of the driving and as I have mentioned before, the New Zealanders don’t believe in straight roads. So it’s hairpin bends, slowing down to almost a standstill, then accelerating up another grade, to be met by another humungous bend. So you have to be endlessly on guard, not just for the road but the drivers too!

We returned our little putt-putt car and came back to load up the Hi-Ace, Jenni’s people mover. She had to work so I drove the gang and what a swaying trip that was. Like driving an old VW bus (brings back memories.) Although it’s only about 80 miles, it takes almost three hours, winding our way north to Tairua. We had a couple of hairy moments when a heavy truck, tandem trailers, came around a corner way over on our side! Heart palpitations there. And then a car, loaded with a family, passed on a blind corner and almost ran us and the oncoming car off the road.

But we made it!


I was a bit disappointed as I thought the house was on the beach, but it was actually a level back from the estuary, and we had to walk out and around to a short road down to the water. Not bad really, but I had had dreams of walking out off the verandah onto the beach. Anyway, it turned out ok and we unloaded all the “stuff” into the house that sleeps 10. It was pretty basic but functional. Some of the ugliest wallpaper I have ever seen – really dating it to the early 60’s.


We had prepared a lot of the food beforehand to avoid having to deal with it there. The boys, Richard (18) and Shawn (12) spent most of their time fishing from the wharf with minimal success but a lot of enjoyment. We all read a lot, went for walks, ate, drank, did nothing. It seems to be a New Zealand thing, renting these houses. I think New Zealanders have second homes and then rent them out when they are not there. The websites are filled with available places, ranging from shacks on the beach to mansions in the mountains. All available by the day or week or longer I suppose. They pack the family up and go “on holiday.” There doesn’t seem to be a real purpose – other than to do nothing, which is a unique experience for me. I did take pix though, check the shutterfly link on the left.

We didn’t do nothing the whole time, I must admit. One day we took a picnic to Cooks Beach, a beautiful long white beach on Mercury Bay. On the way we stopped at Hot Water Beach, so named for the steaming water that erupts in the shoreline at low tide. People dig holes frantically, and plunk themselves down, only to jump up, shrieking, after scalding their nether ends. You can stand in the waterline, shuffle your feet down a few inches and feel the hot water rising.

On another day, Chris and I went to Coromandel Town on the western side of the peninsula. But to get there, we took the 309 road, not realizing that it is a gravel road. The reason for this was to see the kauri trees, back in the forest. What we didn’t bargain for was the torrential rain that turned the road into a muddy river. And true to Kiwi form, the road was a switchback nightmare. But I loved it! It was the most adventurous thing we have done. Real outback excitement! Chris did not join in with my enthusiasm.

Coromandel Town is a really pretty little place with lots of stores and restored storefronts. We decided to go on the wonderful narrow gauge railroad that a guy has built out in the bush. I will be writing this up as a postcard for International Living and when I do will post it here. There are pix.

Chris celebrated his 57th birthday much to his disgust. But he endured a birthday party, complete with chocolate cake and candles.

I have been checking the weather in the PNW – and am very glad to be here in the sunshine, but unfortunately that time is coming to an end, but the northerly storms apparently are continuing and will still be roaring when we get back.

No comments: